I have never made Red Velvet Cupcakes before. I made them today for my daughters 14th birthday, as she has said on a number of occasions that she loves them. I found them quite easy to make and the mix and icing are both divine. Yes I taste tested both before cooking and icing.
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp red food colouring
- 2 x 250g pkts cream cheese, at room temperature
- 300g (2 cups) pure icing sugar
- 120g butter, extra, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence, extra
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line eighteen 80ml (1/3 cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases. Sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir through the sugar. Whisk the buttermilk, butter, eggs, vinegar and vanilla in a large jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in the food colouring.
- Divide the mixture among the lined pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, icing sugar, extra butter and extra vanilla until smooth.Spread over cupcakes.
recipe from Taste